Everyone has a “down” day once in a while. Maybe things at work aren’t going as well as we’d like, or we’ve hit a bad patch in our relationship with a friend or loved one. Such variations in mood are normal, and usually temporary.
But sometimes, we find ourselves feeling down most of the time, and just can’t seem to “snap out of it.” Other times, we find that we just don’t enjoy life as much as we used to, or we’ve stopped participating in activities we once found enjoyable.
Common symptoms of depression may include:
- Depressed mood most of the day, almost every day
- Diminished interest or pleasure in most activities
- Significant, unplanned weight loss or gain
- Significant increase or decrease in appetite
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Poor sleep/Insomnia
- Excessive sleeping
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide
If you find yourself experiencing any of these symptoms, counseling can help you learn to understand where those feelings are coming from, and how to utilize your strengths and learn new skills that will help you to enjoy life again.